Monday, March 8, 2010

DREAMING DO IT!

Have you ever been in a situation that had the potential to be very scary- but you wouldn't allow yourself to be scared? This past week at the high school I am doing my student teaching at a student was arrested for bringing a gun to school. Long story short- it was a CRAZY experience that I hope I never have to go through again. The day after all of this happened I found out that the target was going to be one of my students. This was mind blowing to me...

I have never wanted to be anything other than an inner-city school teacher- and while I always knew that there were risks with this, I simply pushed them to the back of my mind. I decided a long time ago that I can not live in fear of something happening to me at my school. After my experience last week I had to retrain my brain not to be afraid of going to school everyday.

I learned a very powerful lesson that, I believe, will take me a long way in my teaching career... Every child has a story- most of the time it is not going to be comparable to mine. Although we come from very different backgrounds, I believe through literature and writing these kids, like me, will be able to figure out who they really are and why they are that way...and what they want to do- then I will help them do it.

1 comment:

  1. So did I ever tell you that while I was a Cheerleader in high school, there was a shooting at a football game and we had to crawl under the platform?!

    ReplyDelete